In this introductory chapter, Nancy Leigh DeMoss introduces us to the recurrent motif of her book: Eve’s deception in the Garden. This first lie is the pattern which all other lies follow: a combination of outright lies, half-truths and falsehoods disguised as truth. Just as she fell for it, we, her daughters also fall for the enemy’s lies. Some attacks are brazen, some more subtle. For example this is what today’s culture justifies:
- anger (“healthy expression of your true feelings”);
- selfishness (“You’ve got to place boundaries between you and demanding people”);
- irresponsibility (“You are dysfunctional because you have been deeply wounded by others”);
- infidelity (“You are free to divorce your mate and marry someone else; God is the God of the second chance”).
Deception blinds us to the fact that we’ve been deceived, and so as Christians we should open our eyes and examine what we hear and see in the world around us. We should evaluate what’s really happening in order to be able to discern truth from error.
The progression from deception to bondage is (as seen in the case of Eve):
- Listen to a lie
- Dwell on the lie
- Believe the lie
- Act on the lie
Once we act on a lie, the next time temptation comes along, it is easier to give in. And if we’re not careful, a sinful habit is formed.
These are the steps for moving from bondage to freedom:
- Identify the area(s) of bondage and sinful behaviour. These may be very obvious, or they may not. they may take the form of physical bondage (overeating, substance abuse), emotional bondage (depression, anxiety), sexual bondage (pornography, masturbation), financial bondage (overspending, stinginess), sinful habits (anger, lying), and more.
- Identify the lie(s) at the root of that bondage or behaviour. The answer may not be immediately apparent. Lies are, after all, deceptive.
- Replace the lie(s) with truth. The Truth of God’s word is more powerful than Satan’s lies. Where we have listened to, dwelt on, believed and acted on lies, we must listen to, dwell on, believe and act on the truth.