If you’ve been a Christian for some time you know that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge” (See Proverbs 1:7, 9:10, Psalm 111:10 and Job 28:28 ). In reading the book of Proverbs, I was pleasantly surprised to find a lot more said about the fear of the Lord:
What is it?
The beginning of knowledge and is wisdom (1:7, 9:10) and the hatred of evil (8:13)
Who does it?
Those who walk uprightly (14:2) and those who are wise (14:16). The fear of the Lord is rejected by simpletons (1:28)
How to get it
By being attentive to wisdom and directing your heart to understanding; by calling out for insight and raising your voice for understanding, by seeking it like silver and searching for it like hidden treasure (2:1-5).
- Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil (3:7).
- Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the Lord (23:17).
- Fear the Lord and the king, my son, and do not join with the rebellious (24:21)
- A prolonged life (10:27)
- Strong confidence [in the Lord] (14:26)
- A life-giving fountain and escape from death’s snares (14:27)
- Instruction in wisdom (15:33)
- Avoidance of evil (16:6)
- Life and not being touched by evil (19:23)
- Wealth, honour and life (22:4)
- Blessing (28:14) and praise (31:30)